Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Let's try this again

Well last week I had a post written, due to some sort of technical glitch it got lost. I said I was going to do some research and give you a more informative post but that did not happen. I do plan on making it interesting non the less.
Basically my lost entry was about road trips. I have been on many in my life, but until my most recent trip I don't know if they count. They involved lots of driving but any stops were on the way and rarely very long. I have fallen in love with the multi stop road trip, have a destination but plan ahead as to where you will stop research great places to eat and explore a strange city. On our way to MOTD in Fontana Village, our two stops along the way were actually D-tours, and it was fun.
I grew up rather far away from where my parents are from, so for many years we would pack up the car a couple or more times a year and headed out on the road to visit my rather large extended family. The drive is roughly twelve hours with stops for food and gas. Rarely did we break up the trip in two days and even rarer did we stop somewhere to check something out. I understand why but I am sure we missed out on many adventures.
What I would really like to do someday is go on a road trip where my destination is the same as my departure location. Of course it would be nice to wonder about North America for a few years, but that can't be done until that whole working thing is over with. I think three weeks or so could be done realistically. I would plan out a basic route and scope out some fantastic eateries but I would also keep my schedule open for unplanned side trips, although if I plan for the unplanned is it really unplanned?
Now the question is what to drive, yes I know I love my MINI and it is a really fun car. The thing is I would want something I can sleep in. I have seen set ups in cars with the passenger seat removed and a makeshift bed set up. This could be cool but I just can imagine I would be a getting a good nights sleep. I think a motorhome no bigger than a full size van would be perfect, I could keep food properly stored and cooled, and have a climate control system that does not involve idling the engine all night. I would have to figure out my best option for this, buy an old one have it checked out and sell it upon my return or rent one.
The other decision is to go solo or not. More than two the vehicle choice may be seriously affected but I really don't know on this point. It's great to have friends on a trip but there is something about being on your own and making all the decisions. I don't mean that in a selfish way just that in a group everyone makes some sacrifices on what they want to do or not do on a particular day,  I don't want to feel like I am forcing my friend to tour a boring to him museum, and I don't want him to miss out on an antiques store because of me. I think in the end I would like at least one companion, but we would have to agree before we go on a voting system for activities. It would sure make meals out much better, something about eating alone in a nice restaurant just seems wrong.
Let me know what you think and any suggestions you can offer will be appreciated. This trip is still far off but I will do it one day.

2 comments:

baby sister said...

Since you have fallen in love with road trips, you should really consider the MINI Great Lakes Crossing event. Only 3 overnights, but for the most part, it is just that. You have a destination, but you have plenty of stops along the way. Jason (Xiek) and Tim (NightFireRedBaron) are the coordinators this year and it's supposed to be around Lake Ontario. We are saving our vacation days for this trip.

Next, I would consider a VW bus, like Jack Kevorkian ;).

Jabbles said...

I really would like to go but I don't think I can get the time off work. If I recall it's either in June or July, both of witch are very busy at work.