Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Camping at Brucedale

Camping was a success!

Last Friday I got up early and headed up north to go camping. I had booked a site at Brucedale conservation area, right on lake Huron. The drive up was pleasant and mostly uneventful. Sadly I did take out a bird, he was flying very low across the road and I drove over him. There was no thud or anything but I did see many feathers when I looked in my mirror. I would like to think he just got a little brained but I fear he didn't make it. I was quite close to the lake pretty much the whole way up but only caught a few glimpses along the way, roads in south western Ontario can be a bit dull. I did have some good tunes though. I made a playlist of 90's eurodance music, it was great.

I arrived at Brucedale, it is a nice wooded area. I went and registered then found my site, sort of. The site was unmarked, I asked my neighbours and they didn't seem to think site 55 existed, but I did have the right spot. I started setting up while waiting for my friends to show up. I had not had lunch yet so I decided to head to nearby Port Elgin. During Lunch I got a text from Colin saying they were also eating and would be arriving in about an hour and a half. I headed back to the campground.
Colin eventually arrived with his girlfriend Euphemia and her friend Bing. We set up the rest of camp and relaxed for the rest of the evening.

On Saturday we wanted to go the the beach.The beach at Brucedale (I had been warned when I reserved) was not very nice, more of a march really so we headed back to Port Elgin to find the beach. It was actually a pretty nice. We basically spent the whole day there. We had a late dinner back at the campground and ended up missing the small fireworks show held near the beach. Once again we relaxed and hung out. I tried Colin's hammock tend that night. It's basically a hammock that is enclosed for camping, I found it pretty comfortable but a little cool on the backside.

Sunday we pretty much broke camp and headed home. Despite not sounding very exciting I had a great time, it was about relaxing after all. I also got to meet two new friends, hopefully we get to hang out again soon.

No comments: