Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cool weekend

Greetings all,
Last Saturday I headed once again to Detroit Tuned, nothing wrong with the MINI, I was heading there for a tune party, hosted by Detroit Tuned and Mynes Tuning. What is a tune party you ask? Well all cars/engines of a certain brand/model/trim are built and programmed the same, the thing is they aren't all the same, many small variables affect the cars ideal air fuel mixture, once you start modding a car these small variables aren't so small any more. What the guys at Mynes tuning do is put the car on a chassis dyno to get the power numbers as well as many other measurements such as the air/fuel ratio. They do some number crunching taking into account your mods and "tune" the car, another dyno run to see how things went and then they fine tune it until they get all the power they can safely, they can even increase your redline if the mods allow it, on a MINI tach the redline is adjustable.

Now a chassis dyno(dynamometer) is a device used to measure a cars power output at the drive wheels. (HP and torque) Most power numbers quoted by auto manufactures are the power numbers of the engine because of many factors in drivetrain loss, this number can be from 15-20% higher, than the power at the wheels. Anyway standing next to a car under load in second gear all the way to reline is pretty intense. The turbo car were loud the supercharged ones were from another world. The exhaust being thrust out of the engine can be felt from 15+ feet behind the car.

See this thread on Michigan MINI Motoring about the tune party some people posted videos.
http://www.michiganmini.org/forum/index.php?topic=5833.60 (you can also see a link to the pics I took)
Sadly due to a lack of funds I only attended this event to hang out with my MINI friends and see some car get some horsepowers and torques. I always enjoy meeting up with my friends but around 19:00 it was getting a little boring, after all I had been there since 11:23.(why so specific? well just for fun I guessed my arrival time and I was spot on)

Earlier in the day I had chatted with some newer members, Ari and Derek here is a pic of them next to Ari's former RedBull MINI

We met up picked up a friend of theirs (sorry I forgot her name but her nickname for the night was tails)
We killed some time in a park for a bit then headed to Detroit proper to go to City Club this was an interesting place it's classified as an industrial nightclub. Well some of the following comments may sound negative but they are not, this place was a freak show, lots of leather (in a non fetish way) over the top make up, strange hats, even people wearing respirators, finally something you don't see in most clubs a few topless women with tape covering their nipples. I actually felt out of place wearing jeans and a t-shirt, yet everyone I talked to was very friendly. Although feeling somewhat out of place I did not feel unselfconscious like I normally do in a regular club, I even danced completely sober. The music was in the large dance/electronic family that I am sure has a name but I would say it was similar to house music but a little harder. 
I was enjoying myself but was getting a headache from what I can only assume was some sort of incense that I found overpowering, I imagine the cigarette smoke was not helping, we left around 1:30. 

On my way home, since it is only a couple minutes out of my way I stopped by Detroit Tuned again, curious if anyone was still there, not many were left but they were indeed still tuning some cars. I only stuck around for a few minutes though.
Well that was my week end, well Saturday but nothing exciting happened Sunday.
    

2 comments:

Colin Young said...

Wow dude, that sounds like an AWESOME way to spend a Saturday! Anything funky happening this coming weekend? Weather's supposed to be pretty poor here on Saturday, but hoping to get out there and rack up the KMs on my bike on Sunday. We all know what happens the Saturday after that! BOOYAH!!!!

Jabbles said...

Nothing really planned this week end. There is a MINI event but I want to take it easy since as you mentioned we are headed for quite the roadtrip next Saturday.