Wednesday, June 16, 2010

New friend

Greetings all.
Yesterday I was given some calls just like any other day. Now my boss decides who gets what call, I am not sure if he did it on purpose but one of my calls was for a neighbour of mine. This is the second time this year, might be a fluke since I don't know if my boss actually knows what street I live on. Anyway I get to my neighbours house and introduce myself. I am not normally chatty with neighbours, just a friendly wave when I see them. He is actually new to the street, having only moved in last October. He has an insurance program on his HVAC equipment only requiring a $50 deductible per service call.
The problem was his blower wheel on his furnace was packed with old dust and the evaporator coil was quite dirty reducing air flow, and his insurance does not cover any cleaning. I can understand them to a point but this dirt was due to the previous owners neglect, you would think before accepting equipment into their program they would have it inspected. I was able to convince them to cover a replacement belt as the existing one was getting very worn out. The cost to get everything cleaned was going to be around $100, unfortunately due to a car crash a few months ago he is unable to work, and money is tight. I thought about how to proceed and decided to help him out for free.
I could not do it right away since I have to account for my time, but I told him I would return after dinner. I returned around 18:00 and got the blower out, he took it outside to clean it while I tackled the evaporator coil. We got everything put back together, and it is now working much better, not quite 100%, but it appears to be the original system from roughly 30 years ago.
While the repairs were going on we were chatting and he seems to be a real nice guy. After all was complete he gave me a beer and a headlight flash light as a thank you, we continued to chat for a bit, joined by his girlfriend. I will be soon getting an invite for dinner, she is Chinese and apparently quite the cook. I am not sure how far this will go, but a couple new potential friends does make ones week a little brighter.

2 comments:

Colin Young said...

Excellent Jabz! Get out there and meet the neighbors. :)

Aunt J. said...

That was a nice gesture on your behalf but I'm not sure who got the better deal. Not having to cook and do dishes sounds good to me.

C&G's Aunt J.