Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Had a couple ides on what to write about tonight, but nothing I really feel like getting into right now. I do want to say that I really need to get out and meet new people. I have friends and good acquaintances that could become friends but most live too far away to call up and hangout at any time. The thing is making friends is not as easy for some of us. For one unless I am in a group setting (work/MINI club) I am not about to walk up to a stranger and chat less so a group of people. Secondly once you do meet someone going from acquaintance to friend can be awkward for me, recently I was talking about this to my friend Chad, I met him through the MINI club and he is also my MINI's "doctor" we got along well enough but it took me a while before I felt comfortable to ask him out as a friend, I told him he was nice and all but I was also a customer so really it's expected that he be nice, not that I thought he was faking it but I also had no idea if he had any interest in hanging out outside our business relationship.
I have had this happen a few times over the years, often times I let a potential friendship slip by because of a fear of coming on too strong, fear of rejection I guess.
I even delayed a friendship, Colin is a really good friend I met through work, but the thing is we had actually met about two years before we actually started working together/became friends. He was dating a coworker at the bingo hall and he joined he at the christmas party. We sat at the same table and really hit it off, (yeah yeah I know how this sounds) but at the end of the night that was it , never asked for his number, never asked his GF how to get a hold of him, It was not until we started working together much later that we actually became friends,
Anyway I am just ranting a little so please forgive me, I just need to get out there and meet people, just need to find a place with a low douchebag ratio.

3 comments:

Colin Young said...

I think you're on the right track with joining clubs. Nothing better than a huge group of people that you know have at least one common interest.

Also try "Feel like grabbing a beer?" Anyone who turns down that offer isn't worth hanging out with. :D

baby sister said...

Jay, making real friends is not the easiest. Most, if not all of my "friends" have to deal with my uniqueness, which is difficult for even ME to deal with. I don't like to talk on the phone, so I don't call anyone, or it's very rare. Jerome and I tend to keep to ourselves. We do like to talk when we are at parties and events, but other than that, we're always working on some project; yard, computer, movie, whatever. I guess you could say we're lucky that we found each other.

The other thing is when you invest your time and effort into people, you sort of expect something back. That doesn't always happen and it's frustrating.

Then when you get really really involved in clubs and stuff and become a part of "the committee", you find that people that you thought were your friends all of a sudden have something against you. Not sure why...could be that whole "calling" thing or the "keeping to ourselves" thing, but it still comes as a surprise when it happens.

Jabbles said...

Yeah that sounds like me, I have good friends that live out of town that I rarely talk too yet if they were in the same town I would hang out all the time.
I remember you talking about the issues trying to get involved with the club. That`s why I rather avoid getting involved in the planning stuff, a small pic nic is one thing an event`is not worth the hassle.