Saturday, August 28, 2010

Poor little squirrel.

This is not a happy post. Kinda sad actually you have been warned.
I was on call today. I was at a bar fixing their ice machine. I had to make a call so I went out to my truck. As I am talking I notice a squirrel a couple meters away, I though this was odd ans they rarely get so close. I approach slowly and he does not run away, then I see why. His skin/fur is intact but both his back legs are kinda dragging behind him as if his pelvis is crushed. He isn't whimpering or making any sounds that he is in pain although I am sure he was. I go inside and tell the cook, he comes out and says "We need to put him out of his misery" it sucks but I agree although want no part of it, he says he will feed it then take care of it. I go back to the ice machine. He comes back a few minutes later saying he just can't do it. Being a country boy he admitted to having killed animals for similar reasons in the past but this time he just could not do it. A customer hears this and decides to check it out. I did not go back out but the customer returned after a few minutes with a bloody hand, not sure why but he decided to pick up the injured squirrel. He got himself cleaned up and bandaged then said he will take it with him alive. He is concerned about rabies, he didn't say exactly where he was going to take it but I assume the humane society. I hope he will be OK and that the poor little squirrel is out of his misery now.

2 comments:

baby sister said...

We'll have to tell you our stories about the skunk with a yogurt cup on his head and the raccoon with a veggie can on his head. Both are too long to write here.

I think you've already heard about the baby iguana that I had to put out of its misery.

But then there was the poor kitten on a Detroit street that was alive, but degloved. :(

Next time we're together, I'll tell you. Very sad.

Jabbles said...

Wow that sounds like it will be a depressing evening next time we hang out.